This class is designed to provide Building Owners, Facility Management personnel, & Contract Oversight personnel with an introduction to elevator types, components, & operation and to the building and safety codes that apply to elevator installations.
Presentations are enhanced with graphics and photos of elevator types, elevator systems, and building layout configurations associated with each type of elevator. Safety, safe conduct, and safety protocol are emphasized throughout the class.
Building and safety code presentations include sections of the International Building Code (IBC) and ASME A17.1, Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, that apply to design, construction, installation, operation, testing, inspection, maintenance, and certification of elevators. Discussion will also include a focus on the building systems that interface with elevator control and operation.
An additional area of special interest to building owners and managers is the ASME A17.1 safety code designation of elevator "Authorized Personnel" and the duties and responsibilities of the building owner associated with that designation. Presentations identify safety code requirements that apply to key control, access to elevator machine rooms & control rooms, escalator start-up procedures, and more.
Technical and Safety Code Presentations include the following:
- A17.1 Part 1 - Scope, Purpose, & Definitions
- Elevator design, construction, & installation
- Elevator maintenance & Maintenance Control Program
- Elevator inspection, testing, and certification
- A17.1 Part 8 - Security & Authorized Personnel
- Elevator Industry - Field Employee Safety Handbook
- Building Fire Alarm & Firefighters' Emergency Operation
- Building Sprinkler Actuation & Shunt Trip Disconnect
- Emergency Power vs Auxiliary Power
- Elevator Emergency Communication